Some fact about history of Amroha

Rafaqat Ali
MA (English) Aligarh

The right & correct answer for all these questions if at all is not impossible hence, does look a difficult preposition! There is no sign of certified history prior to the Islamic regime. In Hinduism there had been no system prevailing that time to preserve and record to historian events. Apart from the historic books of literature yet there are no ancient signs left within “AMROHA” or in its surroundings concerning the Hindu regime, which could highlight the important historical event. This township however, has something to indicate & refer through its name in the Sanskrit language that this residential part did get rehabilitated during the course of time when the language Sanskrit had been prevailing in conversation or at least it had been so commonly used in keeping to locate the names for the township or the cities. The minimum course of time for the same can be termed and referred 500 years BC. In this very context the existence of “AMROHA” may be counted, understood & known to have got rehabilitated since, the period of 2500 years.

These also get an indication of reasonable confirmation from the referred place. Whereby the population is referred in the name of Raja Amar Jodh from the town “HASTINAPUR” In the west of “AMROHA” within the distance of 5 km, still there exists a town normally “Gajasthal”. Its widely known that Raja of “AMROHA” used to keep this Elephants within this yard(Than).

The name of the specific place has been produced and constituted from the words (GUJJ) meaning Elephant and (ASTHAL) meaning House of Elephants which does solidly indicate that the Town ships in these surroundings ultimately get to be rehabilitated in the course of time when the language Sanskrit had been used mostly during conversation.
In reality name “AMROHA” has been derived from a compact word of Sanskrit language namely “AMROVANAM” Which means “Place of Mangoes”.

During the rising age of Arian Nation Northern Ancient town ship in the northern India had their names kept and known in the prevailing Sanskrit language on the names of the valuable trees of various kinds like Rivers, Wheat, Plants, Valued & working Animals therefore, with in the united provincialism the names of the many more town ships, where the mango trees and the Dry Fruits plantation had been exclusive or such trees had their own self preserved Jungles, such as in the district KANPUR and the township of AMROOD & AMOORAHA etc. During the course of time in the beginning and at the end of these names the changes having been taking place such as from “AMROVANAM” it got converted in to “AMROHA” and eventual it is finally left as “AMROHA” from the name “AMROHA” .The Persian writers during the Islamic regime in the context of “ANBAH” means (Mango) used to write “AMBROHA”.

During the rule of King Jahangir many of the historical & literary books yet continued to have the name “AMROHA” written in the style of “AMBROHA”.

[ad#468]

Amroha At A Glance

Amroha is a very old township. Local theories of the origin of its name differ. One derives ‘Amroha’ from the Sanskrit word “Amrovanam, the region of mangoes” another is that the name is compound of “Aam” (mango) and “Rohu” (a Kind of fish), whereas yet another traces the word of Raja Amarjoda of Bansi empire, who was in 474 B.C. named the region Amroha.

Historical buildings:

  • Moradabadi Darwaza: The historical buildings of Amroha begin with the fort wall, remnants of which still stand. The wall had several gates. The Moradabadi Darwaza, built by Syed Abdul Majid in 1642 A.D., is the only extant gate. Road passing through this gate connects Amroha with Moradabad. It is built of Lakhori bricks. It is about fifty feet high. Amroha is richly endowed with monuments. Several mosques, dargahs, imambaras, madarsas and mandirs.
  • Ashraful Masajid: “Ashraful Masajid” in Mohalla Shafaat Pota, belongs to Shia Muslims. It was constructed by Shaikh Ashraf Ali Azimabadi in 1817 A.D. which is a beautiful and well planned mosque. It has seven cusped arches, the central one bigger than the others. It is having three decorated domes, two high minarets. It was ones repaired in 1867 A.D and has gone under massive renovation in recent past. Amroha also has one `Eid Gaah’ for holding Id-ul-Fitr and Id-al-Azha prayers. This was constructed by Ghulam Ahmed in 1764 A.D.
  • Vasudev Teerth: There are some old monuments in the complex of “Vasudev Teerth”. There is a tank about 40 meters x 40 meters in area. In the middle of the tank there is one small “Hanuman Mandir” for which there is no direct approach as it is surrounded by water. On all the four sides of the tank there are temples. It is considered as the oldest temple of Amroha.
  • Dargah Shah Vilayat: When Shah Sharfuddin came and settled at Amroha, Shah Naseeruddin Chishti, who had long been settled there and considered Amroha as his vilayat, came to know about that he had a “mug” full of water sent to Sharfuddin meaning by this that Amroha – his Vilayat – was full like “mug”. In reply Shah Shafuddin put a flower in that “mug” filled with water meaning that though Amroha was already full, he would live in that place like that of flower in the “mug”. Undeterred by the opposition of the Chishti Saint Shah Sharfuddin settled down at Amroha and adopted the title of Shah Vilayat. Even today he is called Shah Vilayat by the people of Amroha. Enraged by Sharfuddin’s intention for settlement at Amroha Naseeruddin cursed that after the death of Sharfuddin scorpions would be found around his grave. Sharfuddin restored that those scorpions would not sting and that asses would be roaming about near the grave of Naseeruddin. “But these asses” asserted Naseeruddin, “would not dung.”

The dargah of Shah Sharfuddin Shah Vilayat has an enormous complex of different tombs. Its entrance is a roofed gate. Outside the dargah there are old structures all around — graves, gardens and ruins. An old creeper from the grave of the daughter of Shah Vilayat is called as “Choti” which is climbing on the tree. It is said that her real choti remains outside her grave which was later on converted into a creeper giving the resemblance of a “Choti”.

[ad#468]

Syed Khamis Ali

Syed Khamis Ali

Syed Khamis Ali S/o Late Jb. Mohd Munawwar Naqvi Moh. Darbar-e-Shah wilayat (Lakda) Amroha. Currently residing in Zakir Nagar, New Delhi, founder 'Capra India' and ' ShahWilayat Goat Farms' worked with Larsen and Toubro Ltd. as a chemical engineer (Oil & Gas sector).

More Posts - Website